B Class turning on but not changing to Drive or other gears

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvd7227

Hi guys,

I found a used B class, but it's not moving with an issue, it seems like when you turn it on and turn the key you are prompted with an error message displaying

"Stop Switch Ignition Off" but this goes away after trying a few times and I encountered another one saying

"Acoustic Vehicle Indication Inoperative"

I think I heard a clicking sound when trying to change it to Drive and that's when the 2nd message appears

B_Class_Error_01.jpgB_Class_Error_02.jpg

I had the same error, but my car literally stopped in the middle of the road when I was a traffic light. I had it towed to my local Mercedes dealership and was told it was the electric drive unit which they then informed me the total cost would be $15,000 to fix it. I took it to a different shop that specializes in electric vehicles and was told the exact same thing but they offered a discount of $500 off the $15,000. A brand new electric drive unit costs ~$11,000 and the labor was ~ $3,600.

Needless to say I did not get it fixed and it is now decoration sitting in my driveway until I can pay it off and get rid of it. It only has 48,000 miles on it and I only got a chance to drive it for a month before it stopped working. Costly mistake on my part but we all live and learn.

For the Toyota version of the LDU, there are no brand-new drive units; Tesla only supplies Reman units to Toyota for repair/replacement. I'd love to hear that MB customers can buy actual new LDUs, though.

The Tesla Model S-derived LDUs are failing at a faster rate now, of course, as they've aged.

Last edited:
I have this exact same
Error! What did you end up doing to resolve this issue
Oh it was at an auction, I didn’t end up bidding on it since I didn’t know how to repair it

Which error?

"Stop
Switch Engine Off"

or the later one about the pedestrian noise maker not working?
Either error, I was unfamiliar with the car, so I was just troubleshooting
I had the same error, but my car literally stopped in the middle of the road when I was a traffic light. I had it towed to my local Mercedes dealership and was told it was the electric drive unit which they then informed me the total cost would be $15,000 to fix it. I took it to a different shop that specializes in electric vehicles and was told the exact same thing but they offered a discount of $500 off the $15,000. A brand new electric drive unit costs ~$11,000 and the labor was ~ $3,600.

Needless to say I did not get it fixed and it is now decoration sitting in my driveway until I can pay it off and get rid of it. It only has 48,000 miles on it and I only got a chance to drive it for a month before it stopped working. Costly mistake on my part but we all live and learn.
Yeah, I was interested in it but after not finding a solution, I just found it easier to not take the gamble
For the Toyota version of the LDU, there are not brand-new drive units; Tesla only supplies Reman units to Toyota for repair/replacement. I'd love to hear that MB customers can buy actual new LDUs, though.

The Tesla Model S-derived LDUs are failing at a faster rate now, of course, as they've aged.
Ah good to know

exact thing happened to me, I diaconnec ted the 12 volt battery for 10 minutes and it worked again. not likely it would work for you but worth the effort.

Back